Slime toys had entertained children for decades. But “slime” have brilliant colors that can be harmful to their health.
Consumer watchdog Which? has found a number of slime products that contain the underlying boron-safe chemical content, at excessive extent causing short-term diarrhoea, vomiting, and cramps.
Boron is found in the compound borax, which is used to make the slime thick and sticky.
However, the European Chemicals Agency warns boron can spoil the fertility and cause severe eye irritation – and can harm the fetus if pregnant women exposed it. Researchers have tested the most common slime sold by major retailers and those recommended for children online.
They spotted 8 out of 11 tests exceeding the EU’s safe limit against boron 300mg/kg. Some have exceeded the limit four times.
Nikki Stopford, Director of research and publication in Which?, said: “Parents buy slime for their children… will be shocked to see that their child’s health can be threatened. ”
Home-made slimes have previously raised the fears of borax, with reports that children have been injured after trying to copy the slime recipes found online. But Which? currently called the “basic change ” for the product safety system after testing.
The worst slime tested is the pink Toysmith Jupiter Juice, which is more than four times the boron level is allowed at 1,400 mg/kg.
The next is CCINEE Pink Fluffy Slime, with 1,000 mg/kg, and pink Cosoro Dodolu Crystal Slime Magic Clay, containing 980mg/kg. All the slimes exceeding the limit already available on Amazon.
Amazon said they have been removed, but Which? is recommended that parents approach all mucus in a cautious manner because many people have minimal information about their label. Several test slimes are also self-certified with a CE mark, which shows the product safely.
It has passed the findings to the Office for Product Safety and Standards.